The second trimester (weeks 13–27) is often the most comfortable stage for pregnant women, as most of the early pregnancy symptoms gradually disappear.
- You are now out of the 'danger zone' and most people announce their pregnancy's in the second trimester. 80% off miscarriage's happen in the first trimester, whilst only 2 - 3% happen in the second trimester.
- During this three months a lot of growth happens, fingernails, eyes, eyelashes and eyebrows and genitals all form.
- Common pregnancy symptoms during the second trimester include leg cramps and heartburn. However most woman find they have the most energy during the second trimester. You might also find yourself growing more of an appetite, and your weight gain will accelerate and you bump will start to show.
- You will be offered a 20-week anatomy scan. At this scan, parts of the baby’s body will be measured and assessed to make sure that they are functioning. At the anatomy scan, you can also find out the sex of your baby! Be sure to let your doctor know if you want to keep the sex a surprise!
- You may also be offered a gestational diabetes blood test. GD can be detected between weeks 26 and 28 of pregnancy. To test for this, you’ll be given a high-glucose solution to drink. After drinking it, you’ll be asked to wait an hour before having your blood taken. This test will ensure that your body reacts properly to sugar during your pregnancy.
- You and your partner may feel your first baby kicks and movements during the second trimester!!