Tips on moving in to a 'big' kids bed!
Moving out of the cot and into a ‘big’ bed is a massive deal for little ones and can be just as daunting for parents too!
Firstly – hold off as long as you can! I would recommend waiting until at least 2 ½ years old. Generally speaking a child younger than 2 is not emotionally or developmentally ready to sleep in a regular bed but by 2 ½ years old a child has more developed comprehension skills and will be more able to understand what is expected of them in regard to staying in their bed & going to sleep!
Transferring too early may increase the risk of getting up every 5 minutes to put your child back into their bed!
Below are a few tips on how to make this transition as easy as possible for everyone involved 😊
- Make it a special event – let them help pick their new big girl bedding and involve them in the setting up of the bed and packing down of the cot.
- Think about a conversion kit – if your cot converts into a bed your child is still very familiar with their mattress and surroundings etc. which will be comforting to them. It’s the same bed but just looks different! We have some beautiful conversion kits at www.cariboo.co.nz!
- Praise them! /a reward chart – let your child know how proud you are of them when they stay in bed the whole night and explain that each time they do this they will receive a sticker on their reward chart and after 7 nights of staying in their bed they will get some kind of treat.
- Keep your bedtime routine the same as it was before.
- Only stick to one transition at a time – for example if you are also thinking its time to wean off a bottle or dummy or white noise etc it pays to do each step separately as to not overwhelm your little one.
- A night light may be required if your child is showing signs of being frightened of the dark
- A baby gate on their bedroom door. This way if your child gets up in the night they can’t come wandering into your room or go anywhere else in the house! And they are likely to just crawl back in to their beds (or fall asleep at the gate!)
Check out our toddler bed Conversions!